How to remove mould from your walls?

0
Share.

Mould is microscopic organisms that reproduce by creating spores. These spores tend to form on damp areas and help decompose leaves and other plant matter. Mould can also grow on the walls of your home, especially in areas where there is high humidity, like in the bathroom or basement. You can remove mould from the walls of your home by yourself, but take precautions to stay healthy while doing so.


Step One

Determine how large an area of mold is growing on your wall. If the area is larger than 10 square feet, the Washington State Department of Health suggests calling a professional to remove it. If the area is less than 10 square feet, you can safely remove the mold yourself.


Step Two

Wear protective gear. When cleaning up mold, you should always wear a cotton face mask or a face mask approved by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Wear rubber gloves and goggles whenever you are handling mold or anything that has touched mold.


Step Three

Remove furniture and other household items from the room and seal the area off. Close off any heating or air ducts, fireplaces or vents with a plastic bag taped over the area.


Step Four

Scrub the area with an abrasive sponge and a solution of one part laundry detergent and one part warm water. Do not rinse the area--then apply a solution of 1 cup of bleach and 1 cup of water to the wall. Finally, apply a dishwashing or laundry detergent that contains borate.


Step Five

Vacuum and wash all surfaces of the rest of the house to ensure no mold spores have settled on other surfaces.


Share.

Report PostPost Reported

Leave A Reply