Kitchen sponges are versatile cleaning supplies commonly used for washing dishes, cleaning kitchen appliances and wiping up food spills. They consist of squishy polyurethane foam to absorb liquid and retain their shape. Sponges can harbor harmful pathogens, viruses and microbes from raw eggs, meats and vegetables. Failure to sterilize kitchen sponges regularly can cause food-borne illnesses, such as Salmonella and hepatitis A. Sterilize sponges weekly to prevent contamination and create a healthier kitchen environment.
Rinse the sponge under cool water to wash out loose food debris and grime. Wring out excess liquid from the sponge.
Fill a microwave-safe bowl with 1/2 cup of cool water. Lay the sponge in the bowl of water.
Place the bowl in the microwave. Microwave the bowl on the highest heat setting for two minutes. Operate the microwave according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Allow the bowl to cool completely before removing it from the microwave.
Wait for the water to cool thoroughly before removing the sponge.