Most homeowners are stuck between a patio and a deck when creating an outdoor space for their homes. There are a lot of factors to consider when you are putting an outdoor space for your home. Know the difference between the two.
This article will enable you to choose the right outdoor space for your home:
What is a Deck?
A deck is an outdoor platform extended from the house. It does not have roofing. In most cases, decks are constructed from wood or vinyl. Decks are mostly constructed by the homeowners to offer a nice view of the surroundings. Bristol Decking Solutions can give you more details on what will suit your home.
Advantages Of A Deck
- A deck can be installed on any type of terrain. This is because they are not laid completely down on the ground. They have a support system to hold them up. Additionally, the deck will not get in contact with the wet ground, tree roots and it can overcome any slope.
- With a wooden deck on your home, you will get an 87% return on investment. A good deck will increase the value of your home.
- You can easily customize the wooden deck to complement the exterior décor of your home. You can paint it or stain with colors you desire.
- Wooden structures have a lifespan of approximately 78 years. If proper care is given, it can last more years. You can use treated wood, paintings or stains to ensure the longevity of your deck. The wood deck is suitable for all weather conditions. It can absorb heat and if painted or stained, it is waterproof.
The Cons of a Deck
- High maintenance cost. A deck will require regular cleaning and power washing. The initial installation costs are high.
- If the wood is not well maintained or treated. It will not serve you for long.
- In most states, you will require a permit to construct a deck. This means you will wait for some time before approval and spend some money on the permit.
What is a Patio?
This is an outdoor extension space placed directly on the ground. It can be separately constructed from the house or it can be an extension of the house. They are designed with respect to the landscape. They can be built with different materials such as concrete, bricks, pebbles, tiles or stones.
Advantages of a Patio
- A well-constructed Patio can last for more than 25 years with minimal maintenances. The materials used for building patios are extremely durable.
- A nicely built patio will increase your home value by up to 12%.
- Since patios are built on level ground, it does not need to have side railings.
Cons of a Patio
- Not suitable for uneven terrain.
- The initial construction costs are high. It will need regular maintenance which is a bit costly.
Both the deck and the Patio have their positive and negative aspects. Choose one that caters to your needs. Consider the initial installation costs, maintenances and Return on Investment.