Moss taking over your deck is unsightly. This green or brown fuzzy growth typically thrives in areas exposed to moisture and blocked from the sun. Although moss doesn’t pose any real harm to the wood itself, it’s dangerous to people walking on the deck. When moss gets wet, it becomes very slippery, so it’s important to remove it. Clean moss off your deck sooner rather than later before it spreads.
Sweep off the deck with a broom to remove loose dirt and debris.
Scrub as much moss from the deck as you can with a stiff scrub brush. Sweep the loosened moss off the deck.
Fill a clean, empty garden sprayer with equal parts chlorine bleach and water. Saturate the mossy spots on the deck with the bleach mixture.
Allow the bleach to sit on the deck for 15 minutes. Scrub the affected areas of the deck with a scrub brush to loosen tightly lodged moss.
Rinse the deck with water from the garden hose.